One of the miracles attributed to the Christian saint John, the bishop of Trogir from the 11th century is related to Cape Planka. According to the legend, after the shipwreck by Cape Planka he walked on the waves and saved the lives of King Coleman and all the sailors. In memory of him and his miracles, at this place a votive church was built in 1324.
The Church of St. John, a protected site of national religious heritage, is located on Cape Planka in a rugged desert landscape. The church is oriented east-west, and is rectangular in shape with a semicircular apse. The church bears the Gothic feature of the pointed arch and the Romanesque feature of the massive flange, and an even older pre-Romanesque tradition is evident in the division of the interior walls with shallow arches between the pilaster strips. Solid in shape, its thick walls were built on whenever it was possible. Though the church is more than 10 meters from the sea, waves carrying destructive salt still manage to reach it. Over time, they’ve encircled the church with jagged rocks that now form part of the overall structure.